Tag Archives: Wisconsin

Little Norway Bedroom, Blue Mounds, Wisconsin

This illustration shows the bedroom of a building on the grounds of Little Norway, a reconstructed Norwegian village near the town of Blue Mounds, Wisconsin.

Photo by Diemer

Photo by Diemer

There is no description on the back of this card.

Little Norway changed hands a few times over the years, and recently was closed because of declining tourist revenue. The most famous component of the site, the stave church known as the Norway building, has been purchased by parties from Orkdal, Norway where the church was constructed, and is slated to be shipped there for reconstruction by 2017.

This image likely dates from the 1940s.

First U.S. Kindergarten, Watertown, Wisconsin

The building shown in this image was the home of the first kindergarten held in the United States, which was founded by Margarethe Schurz in 1856 in Watertown, Wisconsin.

The L. L. Cook Co., Milwaukee, Wisc.

The L. L. Cook Co., Milwaukee, Wisc.

The description states:

First Kindergarten in the United States — founded by Margarethe Meyer Schurz in 1856 in Watertown, Wisconsin. Building moved from original site to Octagon House grounds in 1956 and restored by the Watertown Historical Society in 1957. Open to the public daily from May to November.

–There is an extensive and detailed history of this building recounted here.

Since the description states the dates of transfer and restoration, it is probable that this card dates from the 1950s.

Octagon House, Watertown, Wisconsin

This image shows the front entrance of the Octagon House, located in Watertown, Wisconsin.

The L. L. Cook Co.

The L. L. Cook Co.

The description states:

438X

OCTAGON HOUSE, WATERTOWN, WISCONSIN

The Octagon House is the most interesting landmark of early Watertown. It was built by the Hon. John Richards and completed about 1852. There are 57 rooms built around a spiral stairway. It was presented to the Watertown Historical Society in January, 1939.

 

–This image is unusual in that it was taken while the building was incomplete, and not representative of the original construction. Over the years, the wooden porches around the first and second floor became unsafe and were demolished in 1938, leaving the building in the condition seen here. The porches were reconstructed in the 1970s and again in the early 2000s.

This card is dated 1951.