Tag Archives: Michigan

Calvin College Fine Arts Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan

This image shows the front and main entrance to the Fine Arts Center on the campus of Calvin College, a liberal arts college located in Grand Rapids, Michigan and affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church.

View post on imgur.com

The description states:

Fine Arts Center

CALVIN COLLEGE, GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN

One of the finest cultural centers in Grand Rapids – it houses three college departments, the 1000 seat auditorium, many private music rooms, stage and costume shops, the Recording Studio, and art exhibit area. Chapel and Sunday services are held in the auditorium.

Photo by John Penrod.

–After extensive remodeling, the heptagon shaped building is now known as the Covenant Fine Arts Center.

This image likely dates from the 1960s.

Kent County Airport, Michigan

This image shows the main tower and one of the contemporary aircraft serving the Kent County, Michigan airport.

View post on imgur.com

The description states:

KENT COUNTY AIRPORT…Serving Grand Rapids and Western Michigan. First airport in the United States to pioneer the single runway landing strip. Michigan’s most complete airport.

–The airport has since been extensively upgraded with the increase in air travel and is now called the Gerald R. Ford International Airport. The plane being serviced appears to be a Douglas DC-4 operated by the now-defunct National Airlines. It was acquired by Pan Am Airlines in 1980, which itself ceased operations in 1991.

This image likely dates from the 1950s.

Gibson Refrigerator Company, Greenville, Michigan

This image shows the Gibson Refrigerator Company plant and the Flat River as it flows through Greenville, Michigan. The company started life as the Belding-Hall Company in Belding, Michigan until its purchase by Frank Gibson.

View post on imgur.com

The description states simply:

Gibson Refrigerator Company

Greenville, Michigan

–The company was known for inventing the refrigerator light, the upright refrigerator, and for building Waco gliders during World War 2.

This image likely dates from the 1950s, before the company was acquired by Hupp in 1956.