Tag Archives: 1910s

82nd Artillery Parade, Fort Bliss, Texas

This image shows a horse drawn field artillery piece, being led by a mounted rider, on parade in Fort Bliss, Texas.

View post on imgur.com

The description states:

One of the crack artillery regiments of the U. S. Army, the 82 Field Artillery is located at Fort Bliss, just outside El Paso, Texas.

The 82nd Field Artillery Regiment was named in November of 1917 and assigned to Fort Bliss. Its previous name was the 24th Cavalry. It changed names again in 1921 to 82nd Field Artillery (Horse) Battalion, and was the only horse artillery unit in the Army at that time.

Thus this image likely dates to the 1910s.

Cavalry Review, Fort Bliss, Texas

This image shows a parade ground at Fort Bliss, Texas with serveral large formations of cavalry as they approach the camera.

View post on imgur.com

There is no description on the back of this card.

As this is a very large cavalry unit, and the standing army in the United States was not large before the First World War, it is likely that this image dates from the late 1910s, when units were being assembled for deployment overseas.

If this is the case, then this is most likely the 15th Cavalry Division, large portions of which were stationed in Fort Bliss in 1917 until deactivation in 1918.

C.W. Post Cereal Factories, Battle Creek, Michigan

This elevated image, taken from atop one of the Post Cereal factories, shows the extent of the Post Company presence in Battle Creek, Michigan at the time.

Post Factories as far as you can see, Battle Creek, Mich.

Post Factories as far as you can see, Battle Creek, Mich.

There is no description on the back of this card.

–The small sign on the building in the center of the image (click image to see larger version) states: It Makes Red Blood. In this time, processed cereal was touted as having many various health benefits, including improving blood quality and suppressing sexual appetite. It would be some time before boxed cereal would be considered primarily a children’s food.

This card was used and is dated 5 January 1912.