Monthly Archives: June 2013

North Park College and Theological Seminary, Illinois

This weekend features a postcard folio of the educational institution where my great uncle C A Jacokes taught as a Math professor most of his professional life. I don’t list his full name since he didn’t have one. He was named C A on his birth certificate and was always referred to by the family as C A.

This folio is dated 1960, which was just after North Park renamed itself as a College. in 1997 it was retitled again to North Park University, while remaining in its original location in the Chicago suburbs and its original function as the sole seminary for the Evangelical Covenant Church.

Mentioned in the descriptive text is North Park Academy, a high school program operated by the College. It was closed after graduation ceremonies in 1969.

1960
Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY
1960

Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY

1960

Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY

1960

Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY

1960

Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY

1960

Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY

1960

Custom Studios, 202 E. 44th St., New York 17, NY

Curiously, the captions on the portrait format photos are along the long edge intstead of the bottom of the photos, which would match the other photos in this collection. Presumably, the manual layout techniques of this era did not allow for the publisher to put captions on the short edges, something that would be trivial today.

These photos also show some interesting historical details of the technology and lifestyles of that time, particularly in the campus store, the language lab and the medical clinic.

Mini Cards: Hotels and Mark Twain House

Among the other pictorial souvenirs available were these business card sized ones, which were not meant to be mailed (being too small). They were usually given as promotional advertising reminders or as small collectibles.

First is a business card from a boarding house in Watkins Glen, NY.

Rainbow Falls

Rainbow Falls

The card appears to be from the 1940’s, since the phone number is a local branch office type which were widely replaced in the 1940s and 1950s. Also, an online search shows a multi-family structure at this address built in 1940, which would fit the type of business described.

Next is a two sided color photo business card from a motel in Willamsburg, VA.Iron Bound Front

Iron Bound BackAgain, this card is likely from the 1940s, as indicated from the obsolete four digit phone number. An online search (via Trulia) shows the buildings in the photograph still standing, but boarded up and blocked by a fence. More recent satellite imagery indicates the old buildings were torn down recently and replaced with a condo/apartment building on the site.

Next are three souvenir photo cards from the Mark Twain birthplace in Hannibal, MO. They have descriptions on the back transcribed after each photo.

Ansco Color By John Winkler and Kenneth Botkins.

Ansco Color By John Winkler and Kenneth Botkins.

The Dining Room in Mark Twain’s Boyhood Home, Hannibal, Missouri. On the table is Mark Twain’s own lap writing desk, and a knife-and-fork basket. In the “Adventures of Tom Sawyer” Peter the Cat jumped out the window of this room, squalling and breathing fire, after Tom gave him a dose of Pain-killer, a patent medicine.

Ansco Color By John Winkler and Kenneth Botkins.

Ansco Color By John Winkler and Kenneth Botkins.

The Kitchen in Mark Twain’s Boyhood Home, the Tom Sawyer House, in Hannibal, Missouri. A charcoal foot-warmer sits before the ancient rocker. On the table is a candle-lantern, and a fluter (device for putting ruffles in dresses and curtains) with a crank. Brass and iron kettles gleam on the “Geneva No. 7” stove

Ansco Color By John Winkler and Kenneth Botkins.

Ansco Color By John Winkler and Kenneth Botkins.

Stature of Mark Twain in Riverview Park, Hannibal, Missouri. Erected by the State of Missouri in 1913, the sculptor was Frederick Hibbard. The inscription reads: “His religion was humanity, and a whole world mourned for him when he died.” The heroic bronze figure looks out from a three-hundred foor bluff over the river that he played on as a boy and navigated as a pilot. On a clear day places twenty miles and more away may be seen from here.

These photos are also likely from the 1940’s.

Chillon Castle, Lake Geneva, Switzerland

The last postcard in this series is a photo of the Château de Chillon, built on a promontory extending into Lake Geneva, Switzerland. It is much larger than it appears from the angle of the photo, as most of it extends back from the current point of view.

No. 1495

Société Graphique Neuchatel

There is no description on the back except for the printing company, noted above. This is marked as 1495 in the series. It is not the date of the castle, which has existed at least since the 12th century.