Kent County Airport, Michigan

This image shows the main tower and one of the contemporary aircraft serving the Kent County, Michigan airport.

View post on imgur.com

The description states:

KENT COUNTY AIRPORT…Serving Grand Rapids and Western Michigan. First airport in the United States to pioneer the single runway landing strip. Michigan’s most complete airport.

–The airport has since been extensively upgraded with the increase in air travel and is now called the Gerald R. Ford International Airport. The plane being serviced appears to be a Douglas DC-4 operated by the now-defunct National Airlines. It was acquired by Pan Am Airlines in 1980, which itself ceased operations in 1991.

This image likely dates from the 1950s.

Gibson Refrigerator Company, Greenville, Michigan

This image shows the Gibson Refrigerator Company plant and the Flat River as it flows through Greenville, Michigan. The company started life as the Belding-Hall Company in Belding, Michigan until its purchase by Frank Gibson.

View post on imgur.com

The description states simply:

Gibson Refrigerator Company

Greenville, Michigan

–The company was known for inventing the refrigerator light, the upright refrigerator, and for building Waco gliders during World War 2.

This image likely dates from the 1950s, before the company was acquired by Hupp in 1956.

Calumet Theatre, Calumet, Michigan

This image shows the imposing structure of the Calumet Civic Theatre, located in the city of Calumet, Michigan. It is a Renaissance Revival structure completed in 1900.

View post on imgur.com

The description states:

The Calumet Civic Theatre, Calumet, Michigan, also known as the Opera House with a seating capacity of 1,200 people, is the largest north of Green Bay, Wisconsin

Many of the nations top operatic starts and entertainers have performed here.

–The town of Calumet is modest in size, and located in the extreme north of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but was quite prosperous during the late 19th Century due to a large copper mine nearby. The city fathers decided they needed a grand entertainment venue for the locals and built this structure, which still functions as such today.

This image likely dates from the 1950s.